Death and Golden Crosses: Running vs. Stock Markets

Recently, for anyone that follows the market, you might’ve noticed the recent Death Cross in the Dow Jones Industrial Average.

It’s where the black line crosses the green line

Basically, it means we should all panic and sell all our equities if the average closing value of the last ~3 months becomes worse than the average over the last ~12 months, because the market is about to tank.

I like to look at my training the same way - my Death Cross was in November 2017, between the Cactus Rose 100 Miler (win) and Bandera 100k (7th in the national championship) where I ran a decent, but not great, race.  If you bought stock in Joe, November 2017 would’ve been the time to SELL!

Death Cross preceding the Joe Bear Market

But, much like the current market, I’m trying to correct.  I also have one thing going for me that the market does not.  I just turned 40.

On my 40th (actually 3 days prior) a group of us got together and ran at Bandera, which was the beginning of the end a year ago for me, to celebrate the birthday milestone.  As usual, there was plenty of goofing around...






...but in the end I somehow made it through 40 miles of running and hiking that day.  I turned 40 on 12/18 and have run every single day since, which is only like 13 days, but a good start!

I just finished a 61-mile week, and plan to stay around 65-75 / week from here.  If I do, then by the end of January, I’ll see a Golden Cross in my training (dotted lines = projected):

A little too optimistic?

If this happens, then I’ll buy some Joe stock around February.  But probably not until then.  I need some proof that this recovery is real before I declare a bull market.

Goals for 2019:
1. Run Every. Single. Day.
2. Hardrock qualifier in Aug/Sept

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ice Cream Challenge 2024

Ice Cream Challenge 2023

Run Rabbit Redemption