Wild Hare 50

I'm almost always excited to toe the line in a race, but admittedly, was not too fired up for Wild Hare this year.  Three weeks after Cactus 100, my legs were still completely flat and broken down.  Unseasonable warmth completed the misery equation - temperatures started in the 70s with high humidity, and (not even factoring in the direct sun) hit well into the 80s.  Fortunately I again had Julie with me for moral support on the course.

I really had no business running a 50 miler, but (admittedly) only entered this race for Texas Trail Championship points -- both to help the Rockhoppers maintain the Yeti and to make sure I got the Ultra overall series win.  Little victories that don't matter much in the big scheme of things, but it's been a great competitive outlet the last couple years for me, and has kept me moving and healthy.

The first lap in the dark, I pushed myself out in front.  I kind of just wanted to separate a bit and not run with anyone (maybe out of general grouchiness), but one headlamp stuck to me.  Turned out to be a guy named Mike from Julie's hometown of Bloomington, MN.  He randomly picked San Antonio for a run/golf getaway.  I stopped at the mile 7 aid station to refill my bottle and he kept going, getting a lead.  Soon after that, I went off-course right after the section that changed from last year - I took some side trail instead of crossing the creek, but fortunately only spent a minute or two going the wrong way this time before turning around.  Two more guys got ahead of me during my little sightseeing tour, but I slowly re-took 2nd place over the next few miles.  However, somewhere around mile 15 I already wanted to be done.  My legs were toast, my brain was toast, and each 8-mile loop decreased my will to live.

That smile is fake....FAKE  (PC: Julie)

Around mile 34, at the start/finish aid, I saw Mike (the 1st place guy) just standing around.  He said he was going to drop with a heel injury.  I asked him to try and come out with me for the next lap, as I was not moving well either.  We walked together for 5 minutes or so, then we tried jogging a few steps but it looked like a no-go for Mike.  So we exchanged info and I plodded along solo, now in 1st.  Not the most glorious way to take the lead; who knows what would've happened otherwise, but I suppose it took some pressure off.

Two years ago, before I even knew who the Rockhoppers were, the Wild Hare 50-miler was my first-ever ultra.  There was this really tall volunteer guy on the course that I'd see every lap - I later found out his name was Chris and he was giving updates on my position to Matt Smith, who went on to beat me by 4-5 minutes.  But now Chris and Julie were MY on-course reconnaissance team!  They would give me updates, but unfortunately my lead was continually shrinking.  There was just nothing left to do - turns out it takes my legs > 3 weeks to recover from a 100-miler.  I managed to increase the suffering just enough in the last couple miles to hang on for a 3-minute win, thanks to their great updates.

Mile 49.99 - I love running through the barn to finish  (PC: Julie)

With my 2017 racing season complete I can finally recover properly, and focus on the upcoming wedding and honeymoon -- stuff that actually matters!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Run Rabbit Redemption

Ice Cream Challenge 2023

Bigfoot 200